The mission and goals of Mil-OSS have been defined by the community itself at its first annual Working Group.
Mil-OSS exists to improve technology development and innovation across the DoD by connecting and empowering an active community of patriotic developers and solution providers, improving use of the taxpayers' funds through thorough requirements extraction, wise execution, and increasing the speed new technologies enable the Warfighter by leveraging open source and open technology innovation philosophies.
- Create new open source solutions that are more effective for the Warfighter
- Increase reuse of code and existing open source projects
- Increase awareness of existing reusable and open source technologies
- Initiate events and opportunities that enable Warfighters to transfer requirements directly to developers
- Educate developers on how to better develop for the Warfighter
- Improve collaboration with allies
Our Guiding Principles
- We believe that contributing to OSS in the DoD is a patriotic contribution to our national defense.
- We believe that as stewards of taxpayer funds, we are responsible to be efficient, cost-effective and innovative.
- We believe in the innovative power of people, especially in large numbers.
- We believe in finding and meeting challenges—good solutions to real problems will find their needed funding.